Agency denies overwork killed model, 14

Adjust Comment Print

Director of ESEE model agency in Shanghai, Zheng Yi, said that the death of a 14-year-old model from Russian Federation named only as Vlada D. was not caused with either exhaustion or her participation in the Shanghai Fashion Week show, which ended a week before her death.

Russian media has accused the Chinese agency of recruiting Vlada on a "slave labor" contract without medical insurance.

Despite her mother's pleas to get medical help, Vlada refused, eventually resulting in her death in hospital two days later.

Zheng further denied allegations that her death was related to her work at Shanghai Fashion Week because the event ended on October 18.

Moscow is to demand explanations over the conditions in which Miss Dzyuba was kept in Shanghai, after she was recruited on a contract which involved her missing school in her home city Perm, in the Urals. "I didn't sleep myself and was calling her constantly, begging her to go to hospital".

As she waited for her next appearance, her temperature soared. This would violate Russian law, which states that underage models can't work more than a three-hour day.

Elvira Zaitseva the head of the Perm modeling agency said, "No-one expected it to lead to such consequences".

Official newspaper The Global Times reported she died of "multiple organ dysfunction syndrome", citing medical records, but it is understood tests are still being conducted.

Markelle Fultz out indefinitely with shoulder injury
PHILADELPHIA - The 76ers find themselves involved in another injury controversy with a first... The 76ers traded with the Boston Celtics to get the overall No. 1 pick and draft Fultz .

Her agent chose to cancel the next day's event and sent her to the railway station on Wednesday morning to take a train back to Shanghai, Zheng said.

Her case has since raised critical awareness over the exploitation of children in the fashion industry as it has been claimed that before she went into a coma, she told her mother over the phone that she was exhausted.

"There is no coercive clause in this contract", he said in an interview, adding that the three-month contract didn't mention working hours.

Sadly, the young model Dzyuba failed in the battle of life and said goodbye to the world after being in a coma for 2 days as she failed to regain the consciousness. Her workload was moderate compared with other models'.

"She was calling me, saying, "Mama, I am so tired", Dzyuba's mother says.

Dzyuba, who was 180 centimeters tall, weighed 58 kilograms at the time of her death, the same as when she came to China, according to the agency.

'They treat young models with great care there.

Dzyuba's Russian manager Dmitry Smirnov, who negotiated her Chinese assignment, has not commented on her death.