Service Changes for Commuters in Effect Following Reported Explosion in NYC

Adjust Comment Print

An explosion from an apparent pipe bomb detonated near the Port Authority Bus Terminal in New York City during rush hour Monday morning, and a suspect has been taken into custody.

Media reported several people were injured, and WPIX television reported, citing sources, that a man with a "possible second device" has been detained in the subway tunnel.

Other injuries minor: Two victims at Mount Sinai West and one at Mount Sinai Queens are being treated for headaches and ringing in the ears, Nigro said.

A male suspect has now been named as Akayed Ullah, 27, who was injured when a low tech device strapped to his body blew up in an underpass, officials say.

The Port Authority Bus Terminal, which bills itself as the world's busiest bus terminal, also is not far from Times Square.

Asked whether the suspect has connection with the Islamic State, O'Neil said, "he did make a statement but we are not going to talk about that right now".

Ullah lived with his mother, sister and two brothers in Brooklyn and was a green card holder, said Shameem Ahsan, consul general of Bangladesh in NY. The A, C and E line are being evacuated at this time.

Chelsea must forget Barcelona, focus on Huddersfield
We lost the game against West Ham despite dominating the game, controlling the game. Chelsea's failure to win their Champions League group has cost them.

Shortly before 8 a.m. ET, police said a blast was reported at the Port Authority bus and subway station in Midtown. Gov. Andrew Cuomo said the perpetrator used an amateur "effectively low-tech device".

- Police in Bangladesh have been speaking with Ullah's wife in an effort to learn more about "how he was influenced and how he joined these activities", Ferdous said, adding that authorities went to the wife's residence in the capital Dhaka to question her. "It was scary. It was just a lot of chaos but I didn't see any injuries".

- He began researching how to build improvised explosive devices about a year ago, began collecting the necessary items two to three weeks ago, and built the bomb in his home a week ago, the complaint states. "They said 'suspicious package'".

President Donald Trump was briefed on the explosion, White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders wrote on Twitter.

Officials said the attempted bombing underscored New York City's status as a target for such attacks, citing the attacks of September 11, 2001, which killed more than 2,750 people in New York and almost 3,000 people in all, and the 1993 World Trade Center bombing, which killed six people.

The explosion turned a normal start to the work week into a chaotic scene. It was the first deadly terror attack in NY since 9/11.