Louisiana Teacher Speaks Out on Superintendent's Raise & Gets Arrested

Adjust Comment Print

A teacher in Louisiana was removed Monday night from a school board meeting after a confrontation regarding teacher's pay.

During the public portion comment of the Vermilion Parish School Board's meeting, English teacher Deyshia Hargrave spoke up.

"A superintendent or any person in leadership getting any type of raise-I feel like it's a slap in the face for the teachers, the cafeteria workers or any other support staff we have".

She also posed several questions, and was warned to restrict her statements to comments only - even though the board was answering her questions, KATV reported.

A city marshal on duty at the meeting approached her as she continued to speak and directed her to leave the room.

School board member Kibbie Pillette told KADN-TV that the board voted at the meeting by a 5-3 margin to give the Vermilion Parish superintendent Jerome Puyau a 3-year contract extension with a $38,000 raise.

"She got away from what I believe was the germane issue", he said. "We work very hard, with very little, to maintain the salaries we have".

Cam Newton crumples trying to leave field in scary scene
He led a touchdown march that got Carolina within one score, but their next and final possession ended with a turnover on downs. As he walked to the sideline, Newton went down to the ground, where he pointed to his eye as trainers checked him out.

Hargrave added that the raise was unwarranted, saying teachers and students have met their performance targets while class sizes have grown.

"Hold on, I am way smaller than you", the woman then said to the marshal as he shoved her toward an exit.

Hargrave was booked into the Abbeville City Jail on Monday evening for the charges of resisting an officer and remaining on premises after being forbidden there, arrest records show. Moments later, Hargrave is seen being taken to the ground, handcuffed, and dragged out of the building by the much larger marshal as fellow teachers looked on in horror.

Aside from these remarks, our association will honor Ms. Hargrave's wishes and refrain from any additional comments at this time, as the case is ongoing.

After Hargrave was removed, the board ultimately voted to approve Puyau's new contract.

It is unclear if the marshal was acting on his own accord or on the orders of board members or the superintendent.

The 74 was unable to reach the marshal's office or the school district Tuesday morning.