Myanmar police kill seven ethnic Rakhine protesters

Adjust Comment Print

Rohingyas continue entering Bangladesh due to continuing violence and brutality against them in Rakhine, says the statement that comes a day after Myanmar and Bangladesh signed terms of reference of physical arrangement in Nay Pyi Taw, on January 16.

The agreement did not specify when the process would begin but said Myanmar would provide temporary shelter for those returning and later build houses for them.

The worst, he said, would be to move these people from camps in Bangladesh to camps in Myanmar, keeping an artificial situation for a long time and not allowing for them to regain their normal lives.

He also urged India and the worldwide community to keep putting pressure on Myanmar authorities so that complete and sustainable repatriation of Rohingya refugees would be ensured.

The victims were members of the Rakhine ethnic group, many of whom have forced about 700,000 Rohingya out of their villages and into Bangladesh.

Though Burma's army claimed it was a clearance operation against the terrorists, the United Nations, United States and others have said the operations were "ethnic cleansing" to remove the Rohingya from the country, also known as Myanmar.

Deadly fire engulfs Delhi firecracker factory
Officials said the building, which didn't have the mandatory no-objection certificate on fire safety, was sealed after the blaze. The fire was of a make four category. "Saddened at the loss of 17 lives in the Bawana cracker factory fire".

Aid agencies have raised concerns about forcibly repatriating them.

The all-party worldwide development select committee also urged British ministers to "reflect on why so much evidence of discrimination, marginalisation, and abuse of the Rohingya people in Myanmar was seemingly ignored for so long, rather than translated into effective action by the global community". "Bangladesh authorities also need to proceed with the paperwork and documents for refugees and send it to us fast".

Myint Kyaing, permanent secretary at Myanmar's Ministry of Labor, Immigration and Population, told Reuters this month Myanmar would begin processing at least 150 people a day through each of the two camps by January 23. At least 30 people have died from the disease, .

The meeting that concluded on Tuesday in Myanmar's capital Naypyitaw was the first for a joint working group set up to hammer out the details of the November repatriation agreement.

"Security forces asked them to disperse and fired warning shots with rubber bullets. but they didn't stop, so police had to use real bullets", Myanmar police spokesman Colonel Myo Soe told AFP. "Why are basic issues like citizenship, freedom of movement and livelihoods not discussed now so refugees can make informed choices?"