6 explosive packages sent to USA gov't, military sites in Washington

Adjust Comment Print

The FBI and military authorities said Monday that they were investigating a half-dozen suspicious packages containing explosive components, sent to military and intelligence addresses in the Washington area.

Law enforcement officials told the broadcaster the packages were sent through the post.

A Central Intelligence Agency mail processing facility and a White House mail processing facility also intercepted suspicious packages.

It's not clear if the packages are linked to each other, but officials said they do not believe they are linked to the recent bombings in Austin, Texas. The parcel tested positive for black powder, a substance found in explosive devices, and an X-ray scan appeared to show a Global Positioning System locator and fuse attachment.

According to CNN, the National Defense University at Fort McNair received the suspicious package Monday morning around 8:30 a.m.

Type of gas that killed Creston family in Mexico not yet revealed
Kevin Sharp was a big fan of professional NASCAR champion racer Brad Keselowski, and, like Keselowski, raced in a No. 2 auto . The Sharp family appeared to have been dead for 36 to 48 hours when they were discovered, Mexican authorities said.

The building was evacuated and later cleared around 1:15pm.

Law enforcement officials said the packages were sent through the mail.

Investigators are still trying to determine if all of the packages are linked and if all of them were sent from a single location. No injuries have been reported.

Another package was found Dahlgren Naval Air Station in Virginia. In late February, 11 people fell ill and were treated for symptoms that included nosebleeds and burning sensations after an envelope containing an unknown substance was opened at Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall in Virginia.

"It is possible that further packages were mailed to additional mail processing facilities in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area", the FBI said in a statement Tuesday, adding a joint investigation with the U.S. Postal Inspection Service is ongoing. Lt. Col. Michelle Baldanza, a spokesperson for the Defense Department, revealed that no one was injured by any of these packages, although the facilities remain on high alert.