Newsweek on Saturday quoted a report last week by San Antonio-based TV station KABB, which said a state education specialist visited schools in the area to brief parents on "dangerous trends" such as the condom-snorting challenge.
"These days our teens are doing everything for likes, views and subscribers".
Condoms are usually made of latex rubbery, and are covered in a lubricant or spermicide - which could be risky if inhaled or swallowed.
In one case, a 27 women accidentally inhaled a condom during oral sex and experienced a persistent cough and fever for six months before her doctors identified the source of her problems. Another medical report chronicles the woe of a 26-year-old African woman who swallowed a condom for the same reason and got appendicitis when a condom fragment got stuck in her appendix.
Move over, Tide Pod Challenge... there's a new teen thing that's sweeping the nation: condom snorting! As Kens5 puts it, "There is a fine line between bravery and stupidity, but the line isn't so fine when people snort condoms".
Strong natural disaster strikes Papua New Guinea, prompts tsunami alert
According to the United States Geological Survey (USGS), the quake occurred 144-km East of Kimbe, Papua New Guinea. About 90 per cent of the world's earthquakes, and 81 per cent of the largest earthquakes occur in this area.
Other than nasal sprays, "anything else that goes up your nose can damage the sensitive inner lining of your nose, cause an allergic reaction, or result in an infection", Dr.
For some, yes. That's why health experts are warning parents about such social media challenges.
Although the videos of teens attempting this challenge are being removed from social media when they are discovered, more continue to crop up nearly daily.
The idea of threading a condom through your nose and pulling it from your mouth is not new.
Some past video challenges, such as the "ice-bucket challenge", have helped raise money for charity, but others, such as "bath salt challenge" can be unsafe, The Washington Post reported. That led to a rash of poisonings, with 142 reported by poison-control centers in January alone.