Funeral prayers of Kulsoom Nawaz likely on Friday

Adjust Comment Print

Kulsoom Nawaz-Sharif, who battled cancer for more than a year, died after months of being in a coma, the family said.

Earlier, Photo of Nawaz Sharif with ailing wife Kulsoom and 44-year-old daughter Maryam has suddenly gone viral leaving Twitterati emotional. Both Nawaz Sharif and Maryam are now lodged in Adiala jail in Rawalpindi.

Aware that the family needed to build its political clout, Ms Nawaz's father-in-law, Mian Mohammad Sharif, arranged for her husband to step into the world of politics.

Sharif, his daughter Maryam and son-in-law Captain (retd) Muhammad Safdar are now serving jail terms in Adiala Jail in Rawalpindi after being convicted by an accountability court in a corruption case in July.

Begum Kulsoom was elected to Lahore's NA-120 constituency in a by-poll after her husband was disqualified from the seat by the Supreme Court past year, but left for the United Kingdom before she could begin campaigning for the by-poll.

The announcement of Kulsoom's demise was made on twitter by Nawaz's younger brother Shehbaz Sharif. In a statement, he said all facilities will be provided to the family and heirs of Kulsoom as per law.

Authorities: Dalllas officer arrested for manslaughter
Clark, 22, was fatally shot earlier this year by officers in the backyard of his grandparents' home in Sacramento, California. But it was not clear Saturday whether the officer has been formally charged or whether she's in custody.

She attended Islamia College and graduated from the Forman Christian College in Lahore before completing her masters in Urdu from Punjab University in 1970.

The funeral prayers of Pakistan's former first lady will be offered at the Regent's Park mosque in central London.

Kulsoom Nawaz was briefly a member of parliament after she won her husband's former seat in a by-election after the Supreme Court disqualified him. In 1971, she married Nawaz Sharif. However, she was soon forced to move to London for treatment, and was unable to return and formally take oath for the seat.

Since then, Nawaz and Maryam have been making regular making trips to the United Kingdom to visit Kulsoom. And when he was arrested by the Musharraf regime in the 1999 coup, she spearheaded the campaign for his release. He also directed the Pakistani High Commission in London to help the family.

There was some initial criticism of the PML-N leadership by those who saw the trip overseas as evidence the party was taking its voters for granted. "She's contributed famously to my father's life and to democracy in Pakistan". They prayed eternal peace for the departed soul and commiserated with the bereaved family.