Man reportedly eats strawberry with needle inside, police confirm 4 'contamination' incidents

Adjust Comment Print

Contaminated strawberries have also been identified in NSW in Tweed Heads, Taree and Wingham.

Queensland Health said in a Thursday tweet that "consumers should cut up strawberries before consuming them", even if they're not from one of the six named makers.

Until investigators have a better idea where the needles are coming from, they recommend all strawberries be cut or disposed of. The Australian newspaper reported that there have been at least seven reported cases in three Australian states, raising concerns that copycats are working separately to contaminate the berries.

The issue came to light last week when a man was taken to hospital with stomach pains after eating the fresh produce bought at a supermarket in Queensland state.

The Queensland government is now offering a $100,000 reward for any information that will help police catch those behind the strawberry needle sabotage scandal. "I am furious about this".

There are no imports of the affected brands of Australian strawberries that were reported to be contaminated with sewing needles, said the Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority of Singapore on Saturday (Sep 15).

Hurricane Florence Storm Surge: The Craziest Videos & Photos
ADCIRC predicts Florence's winds will cause 9 to 13 feet of storm surge in some areas along the North Carolina coast . With Florence, the potential for deaths by drowning comes from the storm surge as well as incredibly heavy rainfall.

"The contamination relates to what appears to be needles inserted in strawberries".

"Whereas we would normally be selling 30 tonnes a day of locally grown strawberries to WA markets, it has dropped to 20 tonnes".

In a statement, the Queensland Strawberry Growers Association said it had "reason to suspect" that a disgruntled former employee was responsible for placing needles in the strawberries. "It is a very, very broad picture and we can't speculate in any way, shape or form", said Terry Lawrence, Queensland acting chief superintendent.

This is a $160-million industry to Queensland... and someone is trying to sabotage the industry but also in doing that, they are putting babies' and children's and families' lives at risk.

"How could any right-minded person want to put a baby or a child or anybody's health at risk by doing such a awful act?" she asked.

Comments