Saudi prosecutor arrives in Istanbul for talks on Khashoggi inquiry

Adjust Comment Print

Saudi Arabia's foreign minister appeared to reject that notion in remarks on Saturday, saying the kingdom would try the perpetrators and bring them to justice after the investigation is completed.

Khashoggi, a Washington Post columnist known for his criticism of Saudi policies, was last seen entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on October 2.

Prince Mohammed, heir to the oil-rich nation's throne, publicly denounced the murder as "repulsive", while the Saudi prosecutor acknowledged for the first time this week that based on the evidence of a Turkish investigation the killing had been "premeditated".

Asked if she held Crown Prince Mohammed or the Saudi royal family responsible, she said: "I and my government would like all those responsible, from the person who gave this order to those who carried it out, to be brought to justice and punished under global law".

The two countries have announced a joint investigation of the journalist's killing in Saudi Arabia's consulate in Istanbul, although Turkey has leaked evidence to the media in an apparent effort to pressure its regional rival over the crime committed by Saudi officials. The foreign minister also did not directly respond to questions about how the kingdom would persuade its allies that Crown Prince Mohammed had no ties to the killing. Saudi Arabia's attorney general is scheduled to arrive in Turkey on Sunday to hold talks with investigators looking into the slaying of Saudi writer Jamal Khashoggi, who was killed in the kingdom's Istanbul consulate earlier this month.

It comes as United States President Donald Trump's administration considers possible actions in response to Khashoggi's death.

In an emotional plea, Hatice Cengiz told an audience in London: "I believe that the Saudi regime knows where his body is: they should answer my demand, for this is not only the demand of a fiancee but a human and Islamic demand".

Police intercept suspicious package addressed to Joe Biden
The 75-year-old star used an expletive to condemn Trump at the televised Tony Awards last June, receiving a standing ovation. CNN is known for its robust coverage of the Trump administration and for constantly provoking the ire of the president.

Mattis added that the killing undermined Middle Eastern stability and that Washington would take additional measures against those responsible.

Turkey's Anadolu news agency said Mojeb was expected to inspect the Saudi consulate. "We must fully investigate the nature of these facts, and who's responsible", the French President said while adding, "Sanctions must be taken on this basis and these sanctions must be coherent and complete, and be extremely concrete and proportional".

Al-Mojeb, the prosecutor visiting Istanbul, was named attorney general by Saudi King Salman a year ago after a palace shakeup that saw Prince Mohammed sideline his elder, more experienced cousin, Mohammed bin Nayef, for the title of crown prince.

"President Trump should help reveal the truth and ensure justice be served".

"They took the body of Jamal from me", she said.

Turkey's state broadcaster TRT Haber said Saudi officials at Monday's meeting asked for the whole investigation folder, including evidence, statements and footage. Jim Inhofe, R-Tulsa, who is chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee.

Comments