Trump details plan for tougher USA entry for migrants

Adjust Comment Print

President Donald Trump has said the number could reach 15,000.

"Any attempts to deny these families and individuals their right to seek asylum are wrong", he said.

It's not clear how Trump's proposal would work under existing law. The suit, which was filed Thursday in the U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C., said it is widely known that Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador are "undergoing a well-documented human rights crisis".

CNN reported earlier this week that the administration is also considering a plan to limit the number of migrants able to enter at legal ports of entry by "metering", essentially creating a waitlist to allow people to enter only if the Department of Homeland Security has the capacity to process and detain them at one of its facilities, a department official said.

In the same speech, he said the troops on the border - which now number 5,200 - would have instructions to open fire if migrants threw rocks at them, as they had at the Mexican authorities.

"I just don't want these people throwing rocks", Trump said on Friday.

The tactics include forcing them to wait at the border indefinitely or sending them back into Mexico to join a backlogged list maintained by Mexican immigration officials.

"Our military is being mobilized at the Southern Border". Should some of this group of migrants do the latter, they could face a tougher and higher standard for seeking asylum under the administration's plans. "You put them and all law enforcement in a very hard emotional, let alone security posture".

The president, speaking in the Roosevelt Room of the White House, told reporters: "We have no choice".

Sarah Pierce, policy analyst for the U.S. Immigration Policy Program at the Migration Policy Institute, refuted the president's claims.

It also remained unclear how many migrants would make it; 20 days of scorching heat, constant walking, chills, rain and illness had taken their toll.

"In general, mass migrations are unsafe for the migrants themselves", Nielsen said.

Ninth adenovirus-related death reported at Wanaque Center
The teams will assess infection prevention practices and deploy beginning in November, according to Health Commissioner Dr. The outbreak will not be declared over until the centre can go four weeks without patients being newly infected.

TRUMP: "President Obama separated the children from parents and nobody complained".

Thousands of Central American migrants resumed their slow trek through southern Mexico yesterday as immigration agents and police nibbled at the edges of the two caravans now in the country.

He said Thursday that he would issue an executive order "sometime next week" that would be "quite comprehensive".

"It's a classic strategy that goes back to 19th-century nativist thinking", he said.

Trump also tweeted a video Wednesday alleging Democrats were responsible for allowing a homicidal immigrant into the USA but provided no evidence supporting that claim.

The ad shows Luis Bracamontes laughing at a court hearing before he was handed a death sentence and profanely vowing, "I'm gonna kill more cops soon".

The video includes scenes of migrants moving toward the US and asks ominously, "Who else would Democrats let in?" It involves the 2010 fatal shooting by a U.S. Border Patrol agent of a 16-year-old Mexican boy who the agent says was throwing rocks from the other side of the border.

Mexico on Wednesday put the size of the caravan that left Honduras in mid-October at 2,800 to 3,000 people.

The number of such immigrants had reached a height of 12.2 million in 2007, representing about 4 percent of the US population, before declining due in part to a weakening USA economy. The terrorists that send pipe bombs to political figures and journalists is a serious threat.

Fox News' Jennifer Griffin and The Associated Press contributed to this Fox News report, which is used by permission.

On Thursday, Trump claimed this immigration crisis is largely caused by the USA having "the hottest economy anywhere in the world".

Trump did not release details on the asylum proposal or how it would be implemented, saying only that he meant to sign an order sometime next week restricting asylum claims.

Comments