Cricketing Fraternity Condemns Christchurch Terror Attack

Adjust Comment Print

- New Zealand police say a 50th victim of the mosque attacks in Christchurch has died.

Tarrant will be prosecuted in New Zealand over the Christchurch mosque attacks that killed 50 people.

Meanwhile, 39 people are still being treated for wounds, out of which 11 people still remain critically injured at Christchurch Hospital and one child has been transferred to Auckland's Starship Hospital.

Brenton Tarrant's uncle Terry Fitzgerald said that the carnage his nephew unleashed on two mosques in Christchurch Friday is "just not right".

The primary suspect, Tarrant, appeared before the court on Saturday on murder charges connected with Friday's terror attacks in Christchurch.

Authorities have declined to discuss potential motives for the attack that killed 49 people and injured dozens more.

"Police understands the religious duty of the Islamic faith to bury the deceased as soon as possible, and is working closely with the Chief Coroner to do everything possible to expedite the process", they added, mentioning that the deceased victims have been removed from both the Christchurch mosques. The New Zealand government said it could be illegal to share the video, which showed the gunman repeatedly shooting at worshippers from close range.

Ardern has said Tarrant was a licensed gun owner who legally bought the five guns he used.

Four people in total were taken into custody in the aftermath of the attacks.

Civil Aviation Authority bans contentious Boeing 737 Max from Rwandan airspace
On Wednesday, President Trump reversed course and announced that all Boeing 737 Max 8 planes would be grounded . A Lion Air jet crashed in Indonesia in October, also shortly after takeoff, killing all 189 people on board.

The youngest person missing and feared dead is 3 years old, Greenhill tells NPR's Weekend Edition. He had a license for the guns that he acquired in November 2017; he began purchasing the weapons that December, she said.

Commissioner Bush said a list of victims' names had been compiled to "give some certainty to victims' families", but added the process of formally identifying bodies was ongoing.

"Anyone who has seen the footage. they put New Zealand first", Ardern said.

Ardern said New Zealand has suffered an "extraordinary and unprecedented act of violence", lamenting in particular that the violence targeted the country's immigrant population. "I think it's a small group of people that have very, very serious problems", he said. "My message was sympathy and love for all Muslim communities", she said she told him.

The video showed a man driving to the Al Noor mosque, entering it and shooting randomly at people with a semi-automatic rifle with high-capacity magazines.

Daoud Nabi an Afghan man thought to be in his 60s or 70s, reportedly ran into the line of fire to save fellow worshippers at the Al Noor mosque and died shielding someone else from a bullet.

"The police will do their duty and keep them protected, which is what they need, and no phone contact, they've said you can't contact them", she said.

"We appear to primarily be dealing with one primary perpetrator, but we want to make sure that we don't take anything for granted in ensuring New Zealanders' safety", Prime Minister Ardern said.

Javed Dadabhai told Stuff that he lost a cousin to the attack and didn't find out until 4 a.m. local time on Saturday.

Comments