Huawei releases official statement on Android ban

Adjust Comment Print

It could interfere with the company's smartphone business globally as future versions of its smartphones will lose access to popular services such as the Google Play Store, Gmail and YouTube.

This includes the transfer of hardware, software and technical services except those publicly available via open source, Reuters reported on Sunday quoting a source familiar with the matter.

Details of the specific services were still being discussed internally at Google, according to the source.

Users of current the Chinese company's smartphones with apps will continue to be able to use and download app updates from Google.

In what will likely be a significant blow to its global smartphone and tablet business, Huawei has today learned that Google is planning to pull the Chinese company's access to many of its core Android apps and services, including the Google Play Store, Gmail, Search and Chrome.

Latest Game of Thrones episode sends curveball to children named Khaleesi
The rings have not been featured in the series previously, so their significance cannot be traced in earlier episodes of the show. In this week's bloody episode " The Bells ", Jamie reunites with Cersei, and gets the wish he's always had by dying in her arms.

In a parallel move, the Commerce Department added Huawei to its trade blacklist. Following an executive order, the company is now suspended from dealing with U.S. companies, including Google. Huawei attorneys are also studying the impact of the blacklist, a Huawei spokesman said on Friday. For future phones, this would force Huawei to build a version of its EMUI on top of AOSP and then figure out how to keep its phones updated, as close to its competition as possible.

Perhaps, even more crucially, Google has suspended its Huawei's Android license.

As well as restrictions on the software running its devices, Huawei faces the prospect of losing access to some of the US hardware suppliers it needs to produce its technology.

Intel offered no comment when asked by Mashable if it had stopped supplying to Huawei. The United States has said its gear could be used by China to spy on Americans, allegations Huawei has repeatedly denied. That's something we didn't necessarily see coming a few years ago, but also something dependent mainly of access to Google's Android as well as to critical components from several suppliers. Last week, Ren said his company had "already been preparing for this".

This effectively means no further Android security updates for devices new and old, including the recent P30 and P30 Pro, Mate 20 Pro, and many more. The company has a "Plan B" of sorts with homegrown operating systemsto replace both Microsoft Windows and Android on its PCs and smartphones respectively. The company is barred from Android services, except those available through open-source license.

Comments