He cited intelligence, weapons used, the required expertise and sophistication of the assault and previous attacks to conclude it was the latest assault by Iran on "freedom-loving nations".
While calling for "maximum restraint", Mogherini additionally emphasized that Iran has still remained "compliant with its nuclear commitments" under the worldwide agreement the JCPOA, despite the fact that Washington illegally violated the deal in May 2018 and reimposed suffocating sanctions on Tehran in November. Iraq's politically powerful and well-armed Shiite militias, long backed by Iran, denounced the attack and denied any involvement, but some sources see it as a warning shot, implicitly threatening a larger and more accurate barrage if the crisis escalates. "So far, it's been very minor", Trump told TIME. The threat seemed aimed primarily at the European signatories, to persuade them to break with Washington and swiftly restore some of the economic benefits of the deal to Tehran.
The Pentagon announced Monday that Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan has authorized sending another 1,000 troops to the Middle East, following the attacks.
Heiko Mass, the German foreign minister, also said the grainy video released by the USA was "not enough" to prove Iran was behind the attack.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo later claimed that Tehran attacked the ships with mines, and the USA military released grainy black-and-white video footage of what it claimed was an Iranian boat crew removing an unexploded mine from the side of a Japanese tanker.
Asked if military action was being considered, he replied, "Of course". On Tuesday, Pompeo is going to visit U.S. Central Command, the Tampa-based headquarters which oversees all military operations in the Middle East.
Google Calendar is DOWN
Another remarked: "Google Calendar is down and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do 30 minutes from now". Google Calendar users are then asked to input credit card details and other personal information.
American is "now an exporter of energy".
But Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman also blamed Iran for the attacks and said the kingdom "won't hesitate" to respond to any threats from its rival, according to the newspaper Asharq Al-Awsat. Iran has shown no willingness to negotiate another deal and vowed not to enter into talks with the United States while the administration maintains its "maximum pressure" campaign of sanctions. The US also reported the Iranians fired an anti-aircraft missile at an American drone monitoring their actions. "And I don't expect to". She called Iran's announcement "unfortunate" but not surprising.
Senator Tom Cotton, a member of the Senate Armed Services and Intelligence committees, told CBS: "Unprovoked attacks on commercial shipping warrant a retaliatory military strike" that he said Trump already is authorized to launch under USA law.
Attacks on the drones can be regarded as additional evidence that Iran was involved in the attacks on the ships, USA officials say. The new pictures - clearer and colored - appear to be screengrabs from aerial footage of the incident.
"According to our assessment, a modified Iranian SA-7 surface-to-air missile attempted to shoot down a U.S. MQ-9 over the Gulf of Oman to disrupt surveillance of the [Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps'] attack on the [motor tanker] Kokuka Courageous", reads the statement.
President Donald Trump withdrew the United States from the multinational Iran nuclear deal a year ago and reimposed tough sanctions on the Islamic regime in Tehran.